Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"You've Survived Death Roe" or Why I Am Pro-Choice

Today, I saw a flyer on a sandwich board that very boldly said "Death Roe." You could see that part from about 20 feet away, and being in the Agriculture School at the moment I thought it was something about fish (because we all know that roe and fish eggs are one in the same). So being that I was confused, I walked up to the flyer. That it when I realized that it actually said: "If you were born after 1973 then you've survived DEATH ROW." It was an advertisement for a meeting that the students for life club was having. Now when I see these kinds of things I get angry. And I feel that every woman should get angry at ads like this. Because that is just plain ignorant propaganda. But that one advertisement got me thinking of all the reasons I am pro-choice.

  1. I am a living breathing human being. Not a clump of cells. Most women obtain abortions in the first trimester, and over half of all abortions occur before 8 weeks of pregnancy. At 8 weeks, the embryo isn't even considered a fetus. It doesn't look like a tiny baby that can experience pain and emotion, it looks like a squiggly alien.
  2. I don't want doctors having the right to mislead patients. In Arizona, a doctor can intentionally leave out information when talking to parents regarding a fetuses health that may lead them to get an abortion (imagine being told that your child is healthy and not knowing until birth that they had a severe developmental disorder). 5 States (Arkansas, Kansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Texas) require doctors to LIE about a link between abortions and breast cancer. These laws were passed fairly recently. In 2003 though, the National Cancer Institute declared that abortion had no link to increased risk for breast cancer.
  3. It's my body. It is my uterus. And it should be my decision. By not giving me a choice, you are essentially taking away my right to control what goes on in my own body. It is 2012. I should have full control over my own body.
  4. Abortions are going to continue to happen regardless of the legality. I want any women that wishes to have an abortion to have the opportunity to have safe medical procedure. Back alley abortions are the dangerous abortions. Those are the abortions that lead to women dying. Abortions performed in a clinic with a certified medical doctor have no negative side effects.
Those are just four quick reasons. Sorry if it is a bit muddled. But it is literally ridiculous that it is 2012 and women are still fighting for the basic right to control what happens with their own bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment