Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Switch: From Tumblr to Blogspot

I looked at my dash today on Tumblr and was assaulted with approximately 100 desaturated (or saturated) photos. The other half of my dash that isn't covered in inspirational photos is covered in .gifs for the Hunger Games. And it's not that I am repulsed by pretty "artsy" pictures or The Hunger Games, but it was just too much. So I stopped.

Tumblr is all about the reblog. This perpetuates a cycle of having as little original content as possible. It's cool when you want to spread the word about something, but distinctly not cool when you find yourself writing 600 word blog posts about why you disagree with the politics of Ron Paul or why everybody should be watching Community. And I think it goes without saying that I would rather write a soliloquy on why Ron Paul is not an appropriate or even viable candidate for the Republican party than reblog a photo that isn't mine.

I think some people use tumblr really well. My sister for one manages to have a pretty healthy ratio of original to non-original content along with a pretty loyal following. I think that http://rapindustryfanfiction.com/ and http://mybabyisaverage.tumblr.com/ are both really fucking hilarious. And I am a pretty avid follower of http://surisburnbook.tumblr.com/. But for all the sites I follow on tumblr, I may have symbolically followed them on their pages, but because of the muddled dash, I tend to just type in their url and read their actual sites. And when you are supposedly follow 150 blogs (which really, 135 of them could be the same blog and it would make no difference because there is nothing distinct about them) and you regularly only look up about 10, that's am issue.

Plus the fact that nobody comments on blogs like the way that tumblr reblogs makes it that much easier to pretend that somebody cares about what you are writing.

So here it is to blogger! Hopefully my posts sound much more coherent from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment